Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arkansas. It is a very rewarding experience to become a mentor and positive role model to a child.
To become a mentor, a person must be at least 19 to participate in the community-based program.
Mentors must reside in Pulaski County. Individuals living in surrounding counties may be eligible based on whether they work in and/or frequent Pulaski County.
- Complete an application packet
- Conduct an interview with BBBSCA staff
- Volunteer Application Packet
- 3 reference checks
- Child abuse registry check
- State police background check/national background check (Please contact us before starting the process if you have questions about background check information. Due to the fact we are a youth-serving organization, any information may be reported in regards to your background).
- Driving record check (community-based program only)
This is the traditional Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring program most people think about when they consider becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister. Volunteers spend time with a child for two or three hours, two or three times a month in the community. The activities are decided on by you and the Little. It is not necessary to plan elaborate outings every time you see each other. The time you spend together building a friendship is what the experience is all about and how you can positively impact a Little in the program.
A Match Support Specialist will introduce you to a new Little and be there to support you through the entire match. They will be in regular contact with you to see if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions on activities, etc.
The volunteer group Big League plans free activities throughout the year for Bigs and Littles. Each Big also receives a monthly Big Buzz e-mail with ideas on activities taking place around Central Arkansas.
Other types of matches can include a spouse or the whole family. The minimum amount of time you are asked to spend with a Little is one year.
To inquire about more information, fill out the contact form located under the About Us tab. To start the application process, click on How to Volunteer under the Forms tab and complete the required form.