Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arkansas. It is a very rewarding experience to become a mentor and positive role model to a child.
To become a mentor a person must be at least 16 to participate in the school/site-based program.
Mentors must reside in Pulaski County. Individuals living in surrounding counties may be eligible based on whether they work in and/or frequent Pulaski County.
- Complete an application packet
- Conduct an interview with BBBSCA staff
- Volunteer application
- 2 reference checks
- Child abuse registry check
- State police background check/national background check (Please contact us before starting the process if you have questions about background check information. Due to the fact we are a youth-serving organization, any information may be reported in regards to your background).
Mentor one hour a week in a one-to-one setting during the school year at a local elementary school or after-school location.
Mentors can eat lunch with a Little, play games, spend time on the playground, or just visit in the library reading a book or talking about the week.
Being a school/site-based mentor is more than just tutoring. It is providing an additional positive role model in a child’s life and developing a friendship that encourages a child to reach his/her full potential.
Mentors are asked to spend a minimum of one year with a Little.
High school students must have availability during or immediately after school one day a week and may enroll to mentor from the time they turn 16 through their junior year of high school (to ensure the time commitment of one year can be met) and are allowed to mentor after high school if staying in the area.
Littles are in the 1st – 5th grade and attend one of the following locations:
- Billy Mitchell Boys & Girls Club – Little Rock
- Booker Arts Magnet Elementary – Little Rock
- Boone Park Elementary – North Little Rock
- Brady Elementary – Little Rock
- Meadow Park Elementary – North Little Rock
- M. L. King Magnet Elementary - Little Rock
- James H. Penick Boys & Girls Club – Little Rock
- Rockefeller Incentive Elementary – Little Rock
- Marguerite Vann Elementary – Conway
- Bob Nabholz Boys & Girls Club – Conway
- College Hill Elementary – Texarkana
To inquire about more information, fill out the contact form located under the About Us tab. To start the application process, click on How to Volunteer under the Forms tab and complete the required form.